(Photo by Kris Gordon)
ROGERS (November 29, 2012)—A Wednesday night house fire that firefighters say started in a chimney did significant damage to a two-story home and displaced the residents and their pets.
Lee Durham, president of the Rogers Volunteer Fire Department, said units were sent at about 9:30 p.m. to a two-story home on Knob Hill Road, where the first units on the scene reported smoke coming from the roof of the house.
Rogers firefighters immediately requested help from the Little River-Academy volunteer department.
Durham said the three residents and their pets were able to escape the house before the second floor filled with smoke.
He said firefighters had to break into walls upstairs to locate the fire that was burning adjacent to the chimney.
Water used to douse the flames ran down inside the fireplace and folded the first floor of the home, he said.
Durham said he’s seen his share of chimney fires during his 15 years on the department and he warned homeowners with fireplaces that a little bit of preventive maintenance can prevent such fires.
"Trash and dust go up through the chimney and hang on the side walls, which is a good reason to get in there, find someone that knows what they are doing to clean and inspect the chimney," Durham said.
No one was injured in the blaze, he said.