KWTX - Our Town Temple - Headlines

Space Heater Caused Fire That Left One Person Dead

By: Chris Shadrock Email
By: Chris Shadrock Email

TEMPLE (January 18, 2013)—Temple firefighters found a body inside a burning house early Friday after responding to a fire that investigators say was ignited by a space heater.

Temple Fire & Rescue crews were sent to the wood-frame home at 813 East Avenue N at around 12:45 a.m. Friday.

The first units on the scene reported that smoke and flames were shooting from the burning house.

During their initial sweep, firefighters discovered the body.

Investigators said a space heater that was left on ignited bedding.

Officials say they have tentatively identified the victim, but said they won’t release a name until an autopsy confirms the identity.

Investigators found no working smoke alarms in the house.

Neighbors said the victim had lived in the house for more than a decade.


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 187419921