BEVERLY HILLS (August 10, 2014) A cigarette was identified as the cause of a fire that destroyed part of a home Saturday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to a home in the 4400 block of Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills around 3:30 p.m.
According to a woman who lived at the home, her 16-year-old son was smoking in a detached garage when the bucket he was dumping ashes into caught fire.
The flames quickly spread from the bucket, to a car, and then to the back of the home.
The car and garage are considered a total loss.
Some damage was also reported to the back of the home.
The family will be displaced while repairs are completed.
Plumes of smoke were visible for several miles.
No one was hurt in the fire.