WACO (August 22, 2012)—Tabitha Haysmer of Waco, who was forced to live in a tent while trying to resolve a glitch that left her without electric service for more than two weeks was finally back in her house Wednesday.
Haysmer moved into the house on North 20th Street in Waco on Aug. 3, but soon after her power company shut off the electricity.
Direct Energy is her power provider, but Payless Energy placed a hold on her meter because of an unpaid bill by the previous tenant.
Because of the summer heat, she slept outside in a tent with her husband and bought a child’s pool, which she filled with water to sit in when the heat was the worst in the afternoons.
She ran extension cords from the home to her neighbor’s house to power a refrigerator so she could keep her insulin cool.
Direct Energy told News 10 on Monday that it had just received her service request forms and promised power would be restored Tuesday and the company made good on the promise.