TEMPLE (August 16, 2012)--Area schools will be re-opening over the next few weeks, starting this Friday.
St. Mary's Catholic School and Holy Trinity Catholic High School open on Friday. Central Texas Christian School opens on Wednesday.
Temple and Belton I.S.D. schools open on August 27.
The Temple Police Department wishes to remind all motorists throughout the area to pay special attention to any school zones they may travel through.
The police officers exercise a very low tolerance for traffic violations they observe in active school zones.
Common violations include: speeding, cell phone use, and failure to stop for a crossing guard. Fines for these violations are usually doubled.
The Department remains focused on the safety of parents, students, educators, and motorists near every school in the city. With the help of citizens, they hope to have a safe school year.
Important Safety Reminders for Pedestrians:
· Always use the sidewalk where one is provided (it's the law). If no sidewalk is provided, you must walk facing traffic, and as far off the roadway as possible.
· Always cross the roadway at a marked cross walk, or controlled intersection, whenever possible
· Always stop and look, left, right, and then left again before crossing.
· ONLY cross with sufficient clearance plus 5 seconds in case you've estimated distance, speed, or both incorrectly.
· NEVER cross an interstate highway or other controlled access highway-it is not worth the risk! Walk to the nearest over/underpass and cross there.
· Try not to walk on or near major roadways during dark hours. If you must do so, then increase your visibility with a flashlight, reflective clothing, etc.
Important Safety Reminders for Drivers:
· Slow down where pedestrians are likely to be present-especially school zones.
· Be watchful for pedestrians even where they are unlikely to be present.
· ALWAYS yield to a pedestrian in the roadway. It is usually required by law, and it is not worth the risk even when the pedestrian is there unlawfully.
· Slow down and move over when pedestrians are near the roadway.
· ALWAYS stop for school crossing guards as soon as they enter any portion of the cross walk.