Western Diamondback (File)
BELTON (June 19, 2012)--A family whose poodle was killed Monday night by a Diamondback rattlesnake is warning others to keep and eye out for snakes.
Alexandra Meeks was inside of her house on Samuel Drive near I-35 at around 10:30 p.m. Monday when she heard her young child who had briefly stepped outside on the porch scream.
She pulled the child back into the house after spotting the 23-inch snake just inches from the child's foot, Meeks said.
Meeks, who was watching through the window, began calling for the family's two dogs, which were outside at the time.
Their Schnauzer was able to run back inside through a pet door but George, a poodle, was bitten in the face.
George, rescued nine months ago from the side of a road, began showing symptoms within minutes of being struck and soon after died from the attack.
"The dog began throwing up, sneezing and choking, but he never cried," Meeks said.
The snake was killed and disposed of.
The family has lived in the house for four years and says that they have never seen a snake there, only scorpions.
Meeks hopes that other families will be warned and keep an eye on their pets and small children, especially during the dry summer months when snakes are not hibernating.
Diamondbacks have dark diamond-shaped patterns along their backs with black and white bands just above the rattles on the tail.