The house the family found is in the same school attendance zone as the one destroyed by fire. (Photo by Chinh Doan)
KILLEEN (March 25, 2013)--A veteran couple and their five children who struggled to find another place to live after a fire gutted their house finally has a place to call home.
Kendall and Georganna Sinegal and their children, who are all younger than 7, lost their home in Killeen to a fire sparked by unattended cooking on March 17.
They struggled to find a new home because they use government assistance vouchers to pay the rent, and few property owners accept them
After a week of searching, however, they found a home that allows the children to stay in the same schools.
"We finally got our own place, not in no one else's home," Georganna said.
The parents and four of the children were staying with relatives, while the youngest child stayed with her godmother during the family's search for a new home.
The Sinegals say the community was tremendous in helping them rebuild their lives, from donating food and furniture to offering encouragement.
"I only thought I had a small group of people, but when this happened it was like a lot of people came together and helped out," Georganna said.
Their new house is less than two miles from their previous home.
The parents said they learned a lesson or two to pass on to the children.
"Don't take things for granted and get renters' insurance because it'll come in handy," Georganna said.
"You never know what's going to happen."