Waco: Kitchen Fire Clears Downtown Loft Apartment Building

By: Brandon Marshall Email
By: Brandon Marshall Email
A smoky kitchen fire led to the evacuation of a downtown loft apartment building Wednesday morning in Waco.

This pot of beans caught fire in the kitchen of a third-floor apartment Wednesday morning, filling the downtown building with smoke. (Photo by Brandon Marshall)

WACO (September 3, 2014) An unattended pot of beans on a stove in a kitchen on the third floor of a downtown apartment house caught fire Wednesday morning and quickly filled the historic Holiday Hammond building with smoke.

Assistant Waco fire Chief D.C. Yeager said the fire caused little damage, but because of the size of the apartment building it took more than an hour to clear the smoke from the structure.

Residents were briefly evacuated because of the fire.

Firefighters were sent at around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday to the building in the 200 block of South 2nd Street after a caller reported smoke coming from the three-story brick and concrete structure.

Yeager said the fire was contained to the kitchen and the rest of the building suffered light to moderate smoke damage.

No one was hurt.

220 South 2nd Street Waco 76701


KWTX-TV News 10 6700 American Plaza Waco, Texas 76712 (254) 776-1330 Fax (254) 751-1088
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 273800731 - kwtx.com/a?a=273800731