SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J. (January 25, 2013)-- Superstorm Sandy has landed another stunning blow to New Jersey residents, as the state adopted rebuilding guidelines that will force homeowners in flood zones to spend tens of thousands of dollars to raise their houses or pay exorbitant premiums of up to $31,000 a year for flood insurance.
Gov. Chris Christie said he adopted flood maps issued late last year by the Federal Emergency Management Agency as New Jersey's standard for rebuilding from the worst storm in its history.
The storm destroyed more than 30,000 homes, caused $37 billion in damage and is still keeping 41,000 people out of their damaged homes.
Christie said there are "very few places" where New Jersey residents won't be able to rebuild if the higher buildings standards are used.