Confrontation between 2 groups of Killeen teenagers led to Austin mass shooting

Jeremiah Roshaun Leland James Tabb, 17 was arrested Monday June 14.
Jeremiah Roshaun Leland James Tabb, 17 was arrested Monday June 14.(Jail photo)
Published: Jun. 14, 2021 at 4:48 PM CDT|Updated: Jun. 16, 2021 at 5:16 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

AUSTIN, Texas (KWTX) - A confrontation between two groups of Killeen teenagers led to the mass shooting early Saturday in Austin that left 13 injured and one dead, according to an arrest warrant affidavit that KVUE and the Austin American-Statesman obtained.

A teenage student was arrested Monday at Harker Heights High School in connection with the shooting.

Killeen ISD police arrested Jeremiah Roshaun Leland James Tabb, 17, without incident Monday as he attended a summer school class on a warrant charging aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for which the affidavit was submitted.

His name did not appear Wednesday on the online rosters of either the Bell County or the Travis County jail.

The affidavit obtained by the newspaper and the TV station connects him to at least one shooting injury.

A witness, who told investigators Tabb shot him in the leg in Killeen several days before the shooting in Austin, said his younger sister, in a social media post, announced she was going to Austin, and Tabb, in a subsequent post, said he was going, too.

The witness told investigators he saw Tabb, whom he has known since middle school, while walking on Sixth Street, according to the affidavit.

The TV station and the newspaper quoted the affidavit as saying Tabb addressed two of the witnesses’ friends, asking, “What y’all wanna do? Ya’ll wanna fight?”

The friend responded, “It’s whatever,” the newspaper and TV station reported, citing the affidavit.

Tabb pulled out a gun, and as the witness ran, he said he heard shots as Tabb and another teen with a gun exchanged gunfire, according to the affidavit.

Douglas John Kantor, 25, a tourist from New York who was to have been married soon, died just after noon on Sunday at a hospital to which he was taken in critical condition after the shooting, which happened at around 1:30 a.m. Saturday on Austin’s popular Sixth Street.

Another teenager was arrested earlier.

He has not been identified publicly.

Austin media reports indicate he may be as young as 14.

A little more than seven years ago, on March 13, 2014, another Killeen resident, Rashad Owens, who’s now 28, fled from an officer after an attempted traffic stop, sped through barriers set up on 9th Street to protect South by Southwest crowds, and struck a group of pedestrians on Red River Street, four of whom died.

He was convicted of capital murder in the deaths and is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole at the Connally Unit in Kenedy.

Copyright 2021 KWTX. All rights reserved.