UPDATE: Kidnapping Suspect now in custody

Casey Phillips, 25, is wanted by multiple law enforcement agencies in connection with a...
Casey Phillips, 25, is wanted by multiple law enforcement agencies in connection with a shooting, carjacking, stabbing and allegedly escaped from a Waco hospital.(Law enforcement provided photo)
Published: Jan. 5, 2022 at 7:39 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WACO, Texas (KWTX) - A kidnapping suspect who was on the run in Central Texas is now in custody.

U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force arrested Casey Phillips, 25, at his father’s home in between Hubbard and Dawson in Navarro County Thursday morning.

Itasca Police say he actually walked out of a Waco hospital after miscommunication by police.

Itasca PD Lt. William T. Fausnacht told KWTX that dispatch reported the suspect was being dropped off by law enforcement at a different hospital, when in reality he was dropped off at Hillcrest hospital in Waco, where he was able to leave without any issue.

Police report he is likely under the influence of methamphetamines.

He currently has five warrants out of Itasca for aggravated robbery, aggravated kidnapping, assault and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, and additional warrants out of Burleson.

According to Itasca police, Phillips was involved in a road rage incident in Burleson Tuesday where a window was shot out.

Police say he abandoned a vehicle and walked to a nearby 18-wheeler parked on the side of the road, busted out the window with a gun and “hung out” for a while before walking to a nearby Sonic where he assaulted and kidnapped a mother and her teenager daughter as they were in the drive-thru line.

“He tried stabbing the teen in the chest but it caught her hand, then he pushed them into the passenger seat and took off, kidnapping them,” said Lt. Fausnacht. “They got away, the daughter jumped out, and the mom fell out.”

He says the suspect wrecked on U.S. 67E and was badly injured.

That’s when Phillips was taken to Baylor Scott & White - Hillcrest Medical Center in Waco, however, he left before police could get there.

“He was so banged up, we thought he would be hospitalized for a couple of days at least, but he left the hospital with broken bones, legs and a head injury,” said Fausnacht. “The hospital didn’t have the authority to keep him, he left within 15 minutes.”

Hospital officials say they were unaware, and their security staff was never notified, that a criminal suspect was there, putting their staff in danger.

Fausnacht said they’re a “small agency” and only had two officers on at the time: one was doing the crime scene investigation and the other was with the victims.

“The girl was treated, she had a bad laceration, but she is home and safe,” he said.

Police also said there was a man at Sonic, a ‘hero’, who helped get the knife out of the suspect’s hand and stop him from further harm.

Following his capture Thursday, Phillips was being treated at Hill Regional for a broken ankle under the guard of law enforcement, according to Itasca PD.

He will need to be medically cleared before being taken to the Hill County Jail.

Copyright 2022 KWTX. All rights reserved.