Juvenile in custody after bomb threat disrupts school day in Central Texas community

First responder in Hamilton, Texas on Monday, Dec. 5, 2022.
First responder in Hamilton, Texas on Monday, Dec. 5, 2022.(PHOTOS: Claudio Gutierrez)
Published: Dec. 5, 2022 at 3:41 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HAMILTON, Texas (KWTX) - The Hamilton Police Department on Monday night announced a juvenile is in custody after a bomb threat disrupted the school day earlier in the day.

“A complete campus sweep of the campus was conducted by the McClennan County Bomb Squad and no suspicious items nor explosive devices were located and the area was deemed safe,” police said in a Facebook post, “There is no threat to the school or community.”

Earlier in the day, the Hamilton Independent School District announced classes will resume at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 6.

Multiple law enforcement agencies on Monday afternoon responded to the reported bomb threat at the Hamilton Elementary/Junior High School in the 400 block of S. College Street.

A student found a note with a threat against the junior high and turned it in to administrators, who immediately made the decision to lock down the high school and evacuate the elementary/junior high building.

At about 4 p.m. Monday, McLennan County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy David Kilcrease confirmed to KWTX that three deputies and a K-9 officer swept the schools and did not find anything in the building. Both campuses were cleared at that time.

PHOTOS: Parents picking up their kids at the school and local law enforcement at the scene
PHOTOS: Parents picking up their kids at the school and local law enforcement at the scene(Courtesy: Claudio Gutierrez)

The threat, however, disrupted the school day in the Central Texas community. Hamilton City Administrator Ryan Polster said elementary students were bused to a nearby church while the junior high students were moved to the high school and placed under lockdown.

The McLennan County Sheriff’s Office bomb unit, Texas Rangers and Hamilton County law enforcement officials were called to the scene to investigate, Polster said.

Parents were notified and were able to pick up their children beginning around 2 p.m. High school students with driver’s licenses were released at about 2:30 p.m., officials said.

All after school activities were canceled as a result of the threat.

“We appreciate everyone’s patience and trust during this incident,” the school district said in a Facebook post.