Moss Rose Center to open as warming center in Killeen
KILLEEN, Texas (KWTX) - The City of Killeen will open a warming center from Tuesday to Thursday for those in need.
The Moss Rose Center will open at 6 p.m. Jan. 24 – Jan. 26 in the 1103 block of E Ave E.
Dinner will be served and the center remain open overnight to provide shelter to those in need until 9 a.m. the next day.
The City is partnering with the Moss Rose Center to open a #WarmingCenter on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights (Jan. 24 – Jan. 26). The center will open at 6 p.m. to serve dinner and remain open overnight to provide shelter to those in need until 9 a.m. the next day. pic.twitter.com/QdqDzyxBoK— City of Killeen, TX (@CityofKilleen) January 24, 2023
“While a meal will be provided, the center does not offer full sheltering services. City warming centers are set up to offer temporary relief from the cold, so no beds or showers are provided,” said Janell J. Lewis Ford, City of Killeen’s spokeswoman.
To provide a safe environment for community members who use this service, all donations must follow these guidelines:
- Call ahead to (254) 327-1164 (ext. 13) to see what is needed
- Food is required to be in original packaging, not past posted expiration date and not require heating
- Blankets must be brand new, odor free and in original packaging
Unfortunately, the Moss Rose Center can NOT accept the following:
- New or used (including gently-used) toys, clothing, stuffed animals, bedding, or candy
- Gift-wrapped items
- New or used medical supplies or equipment
Copyright 2023 KWTX. All rights reserved.