Killeen: Bonds total $200K for man arrested after, theft, chase, fire

William Daniel Miller. (Jail photo)
By  | 

KILLEEN, Texas (KWTX) A man who fled into a Killeen woman’s home in the 500 block of Goodnight Drive after leading police on a chase in a stolen vehicle that ended in a crash, and then set a fire that killed seven dogs and a hamster, causing extensive damage to the house, remained in jail Monday, facing a list of charges.

William Daniel Miller, 38, is charged with theft over $1,500, but under $20,000, possession of a controlled substance, possession of marijuana, aggravated sexual assault of a child, evading arrest, failure to identify, accident involving damage to a vehicle and evading arrest with a vehicle.

His bonds total $206,000, according to online records.

Miller is accused of stealing a white pickup truck that was traced by GPS last Thursday to the 700 block of Stewart Street, an arrest warrant affidavit released Monday says.

Officers dispatched to the location found a man in the vehicle who appeared to be asleep, but as a third officer arrived and approached the vehicle “he saw that the pickup truck driver’s side door (was) open and the occupant in the vehicle swinging or pushing at the officer before rapidly accelerating, causing the area to be (flooded) with black smoke,” the affidavit says.

Officers gave chase, but the pursuit was short lived.

It ended when the truck struck a parked vehicle in the 600 block of Stewart and the man, identified as Miller, got out and ran toward the front yard of a home in the 500 block of Stewart, the affidavit said.

He jumped a fence and ran behind homes on the east side of Goodnight Drive.

Officers found him hiding behind a home on the west side of Patton Drive, but he ran and entered the house on Goodnight.

A former animal control officer who asked not to be identified, and her teenage grandson were home when the man ran into the house.

She said she didn’t see the man, but her 15-year-old grandson said the suspect drank some water, ate some candy and made no move to stop him when he left the home.

Officers requested a SWAT team, but before the team arrived, “smoke began coming out of the residence.”

A short time later the man identified as Miller left the house and “began running toward another fence” before officers tackled and handcuffed him.

Firefighters were able to rescue a snake and a cat from the home.