Gatesville: Faulty wiring likely cause of fire that killed girl, 10

Cheyenne Harrington died at McLane Children's Hospital in Temple.  (Family photos)
Cheyenne Harrington died at McLane Children's Hospital in Temple. (Family photos)(KWTX)
Published: Dec. 23, 2019 at 1:02 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A preliminary State Fire Marshal’s Office investigation found that faulty wiring was the likely cause of a house fire that claimed the life of a 10-year-old Gatesville girl.

Cheyenne Harrington was pulled from her family’s burning house late Sunday night and later died at a local hospital.

She was trapped in her room by the fire and her mother and father were unable to find her because of the heavy smoke, family members said.

"She meant the world to us," Cheyenne's grandmother, Sheila Whipkey, said.

"A house can be replaced a life can't be,"

"We are not prepared, we don't have enough for funeral. They lost everything in the house," she said.

The fire was reported just before midnight in the 100 block of Oak Lane off Golf Course Road in Gatesville, police Chief Nathan Gholke said.

Other family members escaped without injury, Gholke said.

The girl was taken to McLane Children’s Hospital in Temple where she later died.

An autopsy was ordered, Gholke said.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office were at the scene Monday.

Contributions to the family may be made to an account created in the girl’s name at National United Bank at 905 East Main St. in Gatesville.