Volunteers transform dying local girl’s home inside and out

(Courtesy photo)
(Courtesy photo)(KWTX)
Published: Nov. 27, 2017 at 10:59 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

While a small army of volunteers went to work to fulfill a dying Coppers Cove girl’s Christmas wish by decorating the outside of her family’s house, others went to work inside the home to make the teen’s last days easier.

Savannah Lewis, 16, of Copperas Cove was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma and her family fears this Christmas may be her last.

She returned home Wednesday from an Austin hospital to find a crowd of friends and neighbors, as well as others she’s never met as the community rallied to ensure Christmas arrived in time.

“It could be days, weeks, Christmas max, maybe,” Savannah’s father, David Lewis told KWTX through tears. “It’s not good.”

Area residents and businesses contributed lights, decorations, time and expertise to fulfill Savannah's wish to see her home decorated for Christmas one more time.

In preparation for the teenager's return home, The Pink Warrior Angels, a group that has supported the teenager from the beginning of her battle against cancer, arrived at the family’s home two weeks ago to help renovate an upstairs bedroom for Savannah.

But the group learned this week that Savannah is no longer able to manage the stairs of the two-story home.

So on Wednesday the Disabled American Veterans group and peer-to-peer organizations went to work inside the home, moving the new bedroom furniture her father had purchased downstairs where they recreated the look of the upstairs bedroom, painting the walls in the same shade of blue that Savannah loves.

“I put a call out for help with repainting and a mover for her furniture and they came,” said Julie Moser, founder of Pink Warrior Angels.

“The downstairs was colored the same exact color and everything was repeated downstairs so everything would remain the same for her,” Moser said.

Moser said Savannah rested well the first night in her new bedroom, surrounded by the love of a community.

“She was just happy, I know, when they took her to go see the room once it was . She was still on a lot of medication but it made her smile, which is very rare.”

Savannah was diagnosed with Ewing's after she injured her leg during a cheerleading tryout more than a year ago.

Her father David Lewis says that injury led to the discovery that she had a tumor.

"Later on it was determined that injury activated her tumor," Lewis said.

"That's how she started her path down this journey with fighting her Ewing's Sarcoma."

Savannah immediately started treatment at Texas Children Hospital in Houston.

She went through different chemotherapy and radiation and was responding well, but now the cancer has consumed her body.

Eventually, she was transferred to Dell Children's Hospital in Austin.

Savannah had a tough Thanksgiving holiday and had to return to the hospital.

She's now in home hospice care.