SALADO, Texas (KWTX) A Central Texas dog is being treated for leptospirosis after swimming in two area water ways.
According to a post on the Animal Medical Salado Facebook page, the pet had been swimming in Belton Lake and Salado Creek.
Leptospirosis is not the same green-blue algae that has been killing dogs across the nation.
The blue-green algae is a microscopic bacteria found in freshwater that, when heated to a certain temperature, can produce the toxin that is fatal to pets, Animal Medical Salado said.
Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that is spread through direct contact with urine from an infected animal (wildlife), or through water, soil, or food that is contaminated with their urine.
Signs of leptospirosis can be shivering, reluctance to move, increased thirst, changes in frequency or amount of urination, the animal hospital said.
Dog owners can get the pet vaccinated to prevent the spread of the disease.