El Paso Walmart gunman confessed, said he was ‘targeting Mexicans’

Booking photo of El Paso shooting suspect, Patrick Crusius. (El Paso Police Department)
By  | 

EL PASO, Texas (AP) Authorities say the 21-year-old man accused of carrying out the deadly mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart confessed after surrendering and said he had been targeting Mexicans.

El Paso Detective Adrian Garcia said in an arrest warrant affidavit that Patrick Crusius emerged with his hands up from a vehicle stopped at an intersection shortly after last Saturday's attack and told officers, "I'm the shooter."

He says Crusius later waived his Miranda Rights and agreed to speak with detectives, telling them he was targeting Mexicans during his attack.

“The defendant stated that he drove to the listed location from Allen, TX and entered the store with an assault rifle (AK-47) and multiple magazines,” the affidavit sayks.

“The defendant stated once inside the store he opened fire using his AK-47 shooting multiple innocent victims.”

“The defendant stated his target (was) ‘Mexicans,’” the affidavit says.

Twenty-two people were killed in the attack and about two dozen others were wounded.

Many of the dead had Latino last names and eight of them were Mexican nationals.

El Paso sits on the border with Mexico.

Authorities say Crusius made the 11 hour drive from his home in Allen to El Paso.

El Paso is more than 80 percent Hispanic or Latino, according to U.S. Census date, while just more than 10 percent of the residents of Allen are.

The city will host a community memorial service at 7 p.m. next Wednesday at Southwest University Park “to reflect and remember the victims of the mass shooting and to offer a place of healing and support for the community.”