Ex-Baylor player bonds out of jail after arrest in Las Vegas

Published: Mar. 13, 2017 at 4:49 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Former Baylor tight end Tre’Von Armstead, 22, was free on bond Tuesday after he was arrested Monday in Las Vegas on a list of charges.

Armstead was released from the Clark County Jail at around 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, about 24 hours after his arrest.

An official said all of the charges against the former player are misdemeanors and that Armstead will be notified about a future court date.

Armstead was was arrested Monday and ordered held in lieu of bonds totaling $5,000 charged with domestic battery, resisting an officer and tampering with a law enforcement vehicle causing less than $250 damage, according to online jail records.

TMZ reported that officers saw Armstead push a woman in front of a hotel and that Armstead resisted arrest attempts and is accused of kicking out the rear window of a patrol car.

Armstead was kicked off the Baylor football team in September 2015 for what was described at the time as an unspecified violation of team rules.

A native of Port Arthur, Armstead played in 27 games for the Bears in his career, making five receptions for 62 yards and one touchdown.

He’s linked to an incident that occurred in April 2013 over which an Elizabeth Doe lawsuit was filed in January alleging a sexual assault by two players.

The incident was reported to Waco police, who interviewed the woman involved and collected evidence.

But, according to police reports obtained by KWTX, the woman, whom a police investigator said was “highly intoxicated” and “very elusive in her answers,” was initially “adamant that nothing had happened and that she had not been sexually assaulted.”

Two days later she told an investigator “she did not wish to press charges against the two,” whom she identified as Armstead and Shamycheal Chatman.

The Waco police reports show that an investigating officer contacted Baylor about the incident shortly after it occurred, but KWTX has learned that former head coach Art Briles wasn’t told about the incident until Sept. 11, 2015, after Pepper Hamilton investigators discovered it.

By that time, Chatman was gone.

Armstead never worked out with the team or played again, but remained in school until he transferred at mid-term.

Neither player was ever charged.