Second former BU player arrested on sexual assault charges

Tre'Von Armstead (left) and Shamycheal Chatman. (File photos)
Tre'Von Armstead (left) and Shamycheal Chatman. (File photos)(KWTX)
Published: Mar. 22, 2017 at 5:49 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The U.S. Marshals Task Force arrested a second former Baylor football player Thursday on sexual assault charges stemming from the same investigation.

Shamycheal "Myke" Chatman, 23, was arrested in Houston on a warrant charging three counts of sexual assault.

The arrest comes a day after former Baylor tight end Tre’Von Armstead was arrested.

A law enforcement source confirmed, the arrests stem from a 2013 incident in which a woman claims she was gang raped by two football players.

A Waco grand jury indicted Armstead on the three counts last week, but his indictment was sealed until his arrest.

Chatman was indicted by the same grand jury.

"We have been working with Baylor and they have been cooperating in providing us information on various incidents including sexual assaults," McLennan County District Attorney said after Armstead’s arrest in Port Arthur.

The two players are linked to an incident that occurred in April 2013 over which an Elizabeth Doe lawsuit was filed in January alleging a sexual assault by two players.

The three counts with which Armstead is charged all stem from the same incident on April 18, 2013.

The incident was reported to Waco police, who interviewed the woman involved and collected evidence.

But, according to police reports obtained by KWTX, the woman, whom a police investigator said was “highly intoxicated” and “very elusive in her answers,” was initially “adamant that nothing had happened and that she had not been sexually assaulted.”

Two days later she told an investigator “she did not wish to press charges against the two,” whom she identified as Armstead and Chatman.

The Waco police reports show that an investigating officer contacted Baylor about the incident shortly after it occurred, but KWTX has learned that former head coach Art Briles wasn’t told about the incident until Sept. 11, 2015, after Pepper Hamilton investigators discovered it.

By that time, Chatman was gone.

Armstead never worked out with the team or played again, but remained in school until he transferred at mid-term.

Armstead played in 27 games for the Bears in his career, making five receptions for 62 yards and one touchdown.

He was kicked off the Baylor football team in September 2015 for what was described at the time as an unspecified violation of team rules.

Chatman transferred in 2013 from Baylor to Sam Houston State University, where he played linebacker after sitting out a season.