Grand jury indicts local man who was shot after ramming police unit

Mario Martin. (Jail photo)
Mario Martin. (Jail photo)(KWTX)
Published: Nov. 28, 2018 at 5:03 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A man who was shot by a Killeen police officer on Aug. 30 after he rammed a police unit head-on following a harrowing chase was indicted Wednesday on two counts of aggravated assault against a public servant.

The chase ended when a car struck the suspect’s vehicle, which spun out in an intersection, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

Mario Martin, 30 of Killeen, was flown to Scott & White Medical Center in Temple after Officer Erik Hydorn shot him.

He was released into police custody on Sept. 1 and was booked into the Bell County Jail where he remains in lieu of bonds totaling more than $600,000 charged with two counts of aggravated assault against a public servant and evading arrest with a motor vehicle.

A Killeen officer attempted to Martin over for speeding at around 4 p.m. Aug. 30, but Martin sped off, the affidavit says.

Dashcam video shows Martin’s SUV “ignoring traffic signs and lights, spinning out and off the roadway, as well as weaving in and out of other traffic on the roadway during the pursuit,” the affidavit says.

At the intersection of Elms Road and South Fort Hood Street, Martin ran a red light and his SUV was struck by another vehicle, the affidavit says.

“The suspect’s vehicle is seen spinning around as a result of the impact and comes to rest facing the police vehicle occupied by both Officer Richard Hatfield and Officer Erik Hydorn,” who had responded to assist the officer who was pursuing Martin, the affidavit says.

“The suspect vehicle then accelerates towards the police vehicle, striking Hatfield and Hydorn’s vehicle head-on,” the affidavit says.

“Officer Hydorn discharges his duty weapon at the suspect, then the suspect attempts to reverse his vehicle. Officer Hydorn discharges his duty weapon again in an attempt to stop the suspect.”