Local hazmat team responds to major gas leak
The Waco Fire Department's hazmat team responded to a major natural gas leak after city workers struck a line around 7:45 p.m. Tuesday.
The leak was reported in the 1700 block of Austin Avenue.
The area was blocked off while crews worked the scene, and the downtown Waco Library was evacuated as a precaution.
Crews were monitoring the air while they waited on Atmos to shut the gas off.
The Waco Fire Department asked that people avoid the area.
Things were back to normal Wednesday morning and the library opened on schedule, the city said.