Temple: Improper use of electrical cord ignites house fire, officials say

By  | 

A fire caused by the improper use of an electrical extension cord resulted in approximately $20,000 in damage to a home in Temple, investigators said.

The fire was reported at 11:44 a.m. at the residence located at 1921 Linwood Road.

When firefighters arrived at the scene about three minutes later, they noticed light smoke coming from the home's front door.

Everyone inside the home at the time of the blaze was able to get out safely and no injuries were reported, officials said.

Firefighters located the fire in a back bedroom and extinguished the blaze within 20 minutes, officials said.

Although fire damage was confined to the bedroom, other areas of the home suffered smoke damage.

Officials said five people who lived at the home have been temporarily displaced.