Inmate dies in local hospital a week after suicide attempt

(Courtesy Hill County Sheriff's Office Facebook page)
(Courtesy Hill County Sheriff's Office Facebook page)(KWTX)
Published: Sep. 23, 2019 at 6:09 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A Hill County Jail inmate who was flown to a Waco hospital after a suicide attempt on Sept. 13 has died in a local hospital.

The man, whom authorities identified over the weekend as David Braddock, died just before 8 p.m. Friday at Baylor Scott & White Hillcrest Medical Center in Waco.

“Mr. Braddock was being kept on life support until a family member, who was out of the country at the time, could make it back to say their goodbyes,” the Hill County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release.

“Sadly, Mr. Braddock passed away before his relative could arrive back in Texas.”

An autopsy was ordered.

Braddock was in a cell by himself on suicide watch, which requires correctional officers to check on him every 15 minutes.

The inmate had just been checked when, shortly after 10 a.m. on Sept. 13, a jailer returned to make another check and found the man unconscious and unresponsive, to Hill County sheriff's officials said Monday.

"We immediately started rendering first aid, then a contract nurse came to assist," said Chief Deputy Scott Robinson.

"Hillsboro fire paramedics took over and transported him to Hill Regional, stabilized him and flew him to Hillcrest in Waco,” he said.

Texas Rangers and the Texas Commission on Jail Standards were notified "just in case," Robinson said.

Robinson said the inmate was checked on within the required 15-minute time-frame.

The method by which the inmate attempted suicide was not disclosed.

The inmate had attempted suicide earlier in the week, officials said.

Robinson says the man was "highly agitated" while he was booked into the jail.

He was later found trying to hang himself by his T-shirt from a shower.

"We went in, took him out and took his clothing away from him and put him in a suicide gown and strapped him in a restraint chair," said Robinson.

The inmate was the fourth prisoner to be placed on suicide watch at the jail, Robinson says, which left officials scrambling to find a place to put him.

They ended up housing the man in a separation/segregation area exercise room.