WACO, Texas (KWTX) Baylor University, with the help of some local community leaders including KWTX, is helping area students stay connected to reading.
It's a known fact that some students suffer from what's known as summer learning loss, or summer setback.
This happens when children spend the summer not learning as rigorously as they would have while school was in session.
That's why the university is involved with the " Keep Learning-Keep Reading" program while students are staying home and practicing social distancing.
The virtual story-time is in support of the Waco Independent School district and kids 4 to 10 years old.
According to Cuevas Peacock, Assistant Director of Community Relations-Cultural Wealth External Affairs, they hope to encourage Wacoans of all ages to pick up a book.
They can even read along with the videos.
This program is being rolled out in four phases.
Phase One was launched earlier this week with the virtual reading of a "Baylor/Waco version" of 'We're Going On A Bear Hike!,' by the Baylor Bear trainers.
During Phase Two, community and Baylor leaders will read a favorite children's book while holding a stuffed bear beginning the week of April 14th.
Videos will be released 2 to 3 times per week and posted through Baylor's Solid Gold Neighbor social media platforms like Instagram: @solidgoldneighbor and Facebook: solidgoldneighbor using the hashtag #WacoISDreads.
If you would like to participate:
· Select an age-appropriate children's book (ages 4-10 years old) that can be read in under 10 minutes
· Record yourself reading the book using your phone or computer
· Show book on video as you read or show a digital image of the book front cover
· Hold a stuffed bear during recording (if you have one available) · Send video footage to External_Affairs@baylor.edu
· Follow @solidgoldneighbor on Facebook and https://www.instagram.com/solidgoldneighbor/ Instagram
· Repost "Keep Learning, Keep Reading" videos as they are submitted with the hashtag #WacoISDreads
· To submit large video files, you can upload it to Google Drive or Dropbox
During Phase Three, the program will start a reading challenge where students will re-created Waco's version of "We're Going On A Bear Hike!"
The student with the best entry will win a trip to visit with the Baylor Bears (Lady & Joy) in the fall.
The submission deadline is Aug. 1.
The program will also support summer reading programs at Waco libraries.