Large grass fire sparked by mower

(photo by: Chelsea Edwards)

MCLENNAN COUNTY, Texas (KWTX) Fire crews were on the scene of a large grassfire in the Speegleville area Saturday afternoon.

Around 2:50 p.m. emergency crews arrived at a pasture near Willow Grove Road.

Thick black smoke could be seen from miles away.

The homeowner was mowing very tall grass when he said it got caught under the muffler and sparked the fire.

The flames quickly got out of control.

Officials say 10 acres of grass has burned.

Several tires were also caught in the fire.

No structures were threatened.

No injuries were reported.

Speegleville Fire Chief John Baker says residents should keep water handy when mowing in dry conditions.