Service scheduled for woman killed on local college campus

Samantha Dragoo, 30, died early Sunday morning in a shooting in a housing area on the Texas State Technical College campus. (Family photo)
By  | 

WACO, Texas (KWTX) Funeral services have been scheduled for Samantha Dragoo, 30, a Temple High School graduate, who died early Sunday morning in a shooting in a housing area on the Texas State Technical College campus.

The service will be at 1:30 p.m. Friday at the First United Methodist Church of Temple at 102 North 2nd Street.

A reception will follow.

Dragoo, the mother of a young son, was a U.S. Coast Guard veteran who was studying avionics at TSTC.

“Please keep her family, friends, and classmates in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time,” TSTC Provost Adam Hutchison said in an email to faculty Monday.

“Though we may have only known Samantha for a short time, the unexpected loss of a student or a classmate can be very upsetting, and counselors will be meeting with TSTC students and employees who had classes or activities with Samantha,” Hutchison said.

Counselors have been mobilized to meet with students and staff, Lopez said.

She and the suspect in the shooting, Taylor McKibben, 20, of Canton, were both students, Lopez said.

McKibben posted a $75,000 bond and was released from the McLennan County Jail Monday morning.

He’s charged with murder.

Dragoo was found dead of a shotgun wound to the upper body after officers responded to a report of a disturbance just after 2 a.m. at McKibben’s residence at 308 Webb Ave. on the southwest edge of the campus.

McKibben called 911 just before 1:55 a.m. and reported that a woman had attacked him with a hammer and that he had shot her, a probable cause affidavit says.

Dragoo was lying on the floor of McKibben’s bedroom when officers arrived, the affidavit says.

TSTC police asked the Texas Rangers to help in the investigation and Ranger Jim D. Hartfield, Jr., who responded, says in the affidavit he got written consent from McKibben to search the residence.

He found an orange hammer lying at Dragoo’s feet and a shotgun leaning against a table in the bedroom next to the doorway, the affidavit says.

“The room did not appear disturbed to support an attack as described in the 911 call,” Hatfield said in the affidavit.

“There was gunpowder on the floor at Dragoo’s feet that was spilled from a container and no other room disturbance.”

McKibben told Hatfield he had a romantic relationship with Dragoo and that they had been arguing over the past couple of weeks, the affidavit says.

Dragoo, McKibben told the investigator, arrived at his home at around 11:30 p.m. on Saturday and the two argued for about two hours about their relationship and then Dragoo grabbed the hammer from a table ant attacked, him

“McKibben was able to stop the attack from Dragoo and take the hammer away without being hit or injured,” the affidavit says.

He dropped the hammer on the floor, pushed Dragoo away, reached behind the bedroom door for the shotgun and then pumped a round into the chamber, the affidavit said.

He then fired one shot at close distance that struck Dragoo in the chest.