Man, son visiting local relatives escape from burning car
Published: Dec. 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM CST
A Houston man and his 7-year-old son who are in Killeen to visit relatives escaped without injury Thursday and even saved their Christmas presents after their car caught on fire.
Nick Cato said he smelled gasoline as he and his son road in his Kia Optima.
He said he decided to drive to the Killeen dealership on East Central Texas Expressway to have the car checked out, but before he got there, he saw smoke.
He said he sped up in hopes of reaching the dealership, but the car caught on fire before he got there.
Firefighters said it appeared the fire was the result of a mechanical failure.