EL PASO, Texas (KWTX) Former Democratic Texas Congressman Beto O’Rourke, who lost a close race with U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, last year, made it official Thursday.
He announced that he’ll seek the Democratic presidential nomination, joining a growing field of candidates.
“We seek the Democratic nomination by listening to and learning from the people we wish to serve. We are running a campaign for everyone,” O’Rourke said in a message to supporters.
O’Rourke said he’ll officially launch his campaign on March 30 in El Paso.
“The challenges we face are the greatest in living memory. The connected crises in our economy, our democracy and our climate will either consume us or they will afford us the opportunity to demonstrate our resolve, our creativity and our courage,” he said.
President Donald Trump welcomed O’Rourke to the race Thursday with a snub.
"Well, I think he's got a lot of hand movement,” Mr. Trump told reporters in the Oval Office.
"Is he crazy or is that just how he acts?"