Police: No new information in deadly police shooting at local motel

(Photo by Justin Earley)
(Photo by Justin Earley)(KWTX)
Published: Mar. 1, 2019 at 11:41 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Investigators had no new information to release Monday after an officer shot a knife-wielding man to death at a Waco motel to stop an attack on a second man who was trying to assist the officer, police said.

“Due to the nature of the co-investigation we have no additional information to release at this point,” Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said in an email Monday morning.

“We will confer with the investigators to see when additional updates will be available. It’s early in the investigation and we need to respect their ability to conduct their investigation.”

The shooting happened after officers responded at around 10 p.m. Friday to a report that a man with a knife had damaged his room and was trying to get into another room at the Deluxe Inn off the northbound Interstate 35 frontage road at South 15th Street, police said.

When officers arrived, investigators say another disturbance broke out on the opposite side of the hotel.

"The officer drove to that side and seeing the suspect still armed with a knife, gave repetitive commands to put the weapon down,” Swanton said.

“The suspect refused to drop the knife and instead fled on foot from the officer," Swanton said.

The officer gave chase along with a bystander who joined the pursuit to help.

The chase ended when the suspect stopped at a vehicle occupied by a woman and children, police said.

"The citizen who was assisting our officer, fearing for the safety of the individuals in the vehicle, ran to the suspect and tackled him to the ground. It was at that point the suspect began stabbing the victim multiple times," Swanton posted.

In an attempt to stop the attack, the officer fired at the suspect, Swanton said.

Both men were transported to a local hospital.

The suspect died.

Information about the bystander’s injuries and condition wasn’t immediately available.

The officer who shot the suspect was placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure in such cases.

Texas Rangers are assisting with the investigation.

One witness said he heard the gunfire.

"All of a sudden I hear three really loud bangs. And at first I thought someone was upstairs," Bailey Flint said.

Deluxe Inn resident Kenneth Mardis was caught off guard by the commotion.

"Well I thought it was firecrackers at first so I went outside," he said.

“It was chaotic man there's police everywhere and the roads were blocked off and I'm sitting home alone it was really chaotic."

This is the third fatal officer-involved shooting this week across Central Texas.

On Wednesday, a suspected drug dealer was fatally shot by an officer in Killeen.

Following a domestic incident, a man was fatally shot by Fairfield police Friday morning after officers said they "had to use deadly force in the situation."