Police release photo of boy whose body washed ashore in Texas

By  | 

GALVESTON, Texas (KWTX) Police took the unusual step Tuesday of releasing a photo of the face of a little boy whose body washed ashore three months ago in Galveston in hopes of generating new leads in the effort to identify the youngster whom investigators have dubbed “Little Jacob.”

Little Jacob. (Galveston Police Dept.)

Police spokesman Josh Schirard says investigators didn't take lightly their decision to release the photo of the boy's face.

He says it was edited slightly to remove signs of decomposition to make it easier for the public to see.

The boy, whose was between 3 and 4 years of age, was found dead on Oct. 20 near the shoreline on the beach near the 700 block of Seawall Blvd. in Galveston,

He was unclothed.

An autopsy showed the boy didn’t drown, but failed to establish a cause of death.

“Information obtained at autopsy also shows that Little Jacob was deceased prior to going into the water, and that he did not die as a result of drowning,” police said in a statement Tuesday.

Authorities think the boy died several days before his body was found.

“Based on reverse drift analyses conducted by the US Coast Guard and the National Weather Service, it is believed that Little Jacob’s body was put into the water locally, in the Galveston County area,” police said.

The body appeared to have been in the water from 12 to 48 hours.

“Little Jacob showed signs of neglect and injuries consistent with abuse; however, none of the injuries appeared to have been fatal,” police said.

“Evidence found and collected at the scene and during the autopsy is limited,” police said.

“DNA samples have been collected and submitted to multiple labs in hopes of identifying the boy, unfortunately, these methods have been unable to assist with the identification as children this age do not usually have fingerprints or DNA on file.

The FBI is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to identification of the boy and location of family members.

Investigators are asking anyone with information to call 1-800-CALL-FBI.