Local man arrested after hours-long standoff charged

By  | 

KILLEEN, Texas (KWTX) Jessie Frank-Edgar Nichols, 27, of Killeen, who was arrested after an hours-long standoff in a local neighborhood remained jail Friday in lieu of bonds totaling more than $84,000, facing a list of charges.

Jessie Frank-Edgar Nichols. (Police Dept. photo)

Nichols was arrested on Thursday.

He’s charged with evading arrest of detention with a vehicle in connection with the standoff Tuesday, which started after a police chase.

He’s also facing misdemeanor theft and drug possession charges and a charge of fraudulent use of identifying information, according to online jail records.

The standoff, which ensued as police narrowed their search for a man who led officers on a chase in a stolen vehicle, during which one police unit crashed into a utility pole, ended at around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The pursuit started at around 3:25 p.m. Tuesday on Crested Eagle Drive just south of West Stan Schlueter Loop, police said.

During the chase, which police said lasted less than five minutes, one officer’s patrol unit developed a mechanical issue and crashed into a utility pole at Old FM 440 and Anna Lee Drive.

The officer received minor injuries.

Other officers found the stolen black Honda Pilot abandoned in the 2100 block of Moonstone Drive, formed a perimeter and began to search for the driver.

The search ultimately led to the house police surrounded.

The Killeen Police Department’s SWAT team arrived at around 5:15 p.m.

SWAT officers, assisted by K9 units, tried to force the man out of the home as officers closed off Moonstone as well as Ledgestone Drive and Sandstone Drive, which parallel Moonstone.

Just before 7:15 p.m., an elderly woman, using a walker, emerged from the house and was placed on a stretcher.

Officers could be heard yelling at a man who remained inside the home to come out with his hands raised.

Later the SWAT team deployed teargas.

The search and standoff led to a lockdown at nearby Willow Springs Elementary, where about 50 students remained in the building.

They were allowed to leave with parents.