Puppy alerts local family members to fire that destroyed their home
A yelping 9-week old Great Pyrenees puppy named Case roused its humans early Tuesday after fire broke out in their Rogers home.
The family of five awoke at around 2:30 a.m. to find flames on the south side of the house in the 12000 block of Reed’s Lake road, northwest of Rogers, Bell County fire Marshal Steve Casey told News 10.
Family members say the puppy alerted them to the blaze and all were able to get out without injury, including two other dogs.
Firefighters from Rogers arrived at the scene first and quickly summoned help from Little River-Academy, Buckholts, Troy and Holland fire departments, Casey said.
A heat lamp that was being used to keep five chicks warm at the rear of the house behind the garage overturned and ignited the fire, Casey said.
The chicks did not survive.
The house was a total loss, Casey said.
The family of five will be staying with relatives until they can find permanent housing.