Smoldering cigarettes caused fire that destroyed local bar, restaurant

A security camera recorded the start of the fire. (Temple Fire & Rescue)
A security camera recorded the start of the fire. (Temple Fire & Rescue)(KWTX)
Published: Oct. 10, 2019 at 2:54 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A stubborn blaze Monday morning that destroyed Cactus Jacks Sports Cantina and Brody’s Steakhouse at 300 Southwest H K Dodgen Loop in Temple was caused by “improper disposal of smoking materials,” Temple Fire Chief Mitch Randles said Thursday afternoon.

A security camera recorded the start of the fire, which broke out in a decorative well outside the bar and restaurant.

The fire caused at least $650,000 in damage.

“Fire and smoke damage to the building was severe, and the building is considered a total loss,” Randles said earlier.

The last employee left the bar and restaurant at around 4 a.m. Monday, and no one was in the building when the first crews arrived just after 8:15 a.m. to find smoke and flames coming from the front and roof line of the building, he said.

Heavy flames were found in the attic.

The fire was declared under control at around 12:15 p.m. four hours after it was reported.

About two-dozen firefighters responded.

The bar and restaurant’s operators expressed their thanks to firefighters in a Facebook post.

"While we are not sure of what the next steps will be, we will keep you all in the loop as we try to push on through the next days and weeks."