Temple fire warns against unattended cooking

Published: Dec. 30, 2017 at 3:13 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A kitchen fire at a house in Temple has fire officials warning against leaving the kitchen when preparing meals.

Around 12:40 p.m. Friday, firefighters responded to a kitchen fire on the 1500 block of Hillcrest Road.

While the outside of the house wasn't damaged, an unintentionally set stove fire did damage cabinets and a microwave.

One person was taken to the hospital to be evaluated to smoke exposure.

While no one was displaced, the dollar loss to the house was estimated to be about $1,500.

Temple fire shared warnings from the National Fire Protection Association to help prevent accidental cooking fires, which are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries; unattended cooking is cited as the leading cause of kitchen fires.

The tips are as follows: stay in the kitchen with your food, or turn off the stove if you have to leave; keep towels, pot holders, food packaging, wooden utensils, and curtains away from cooking appliances; and turn off the stove or oven when you're finished using it.

Temple fire also says if a stove fire happens, turn off the stove or burner and put a lid on the pan to douse the flames; never throw water onto a grease fire.