Randy Travis’ team releases statement on dashcam video

By  | 

SHERMAN, Texas (KXII) Randy Travis' management says if you see the dash cam video of his 2012 DUI arrest, you'll know that he was not himself.

Country star Randy Travis in a patrol unit after his arrest.

Travis' team failed to stop the release of the video and it came out Monday. Travis was naked, but that's blurred.

The video shows him praying, swearing and making threats.

Travis' team says he was "extremely altered" because of a concussion and the substances in his body.

They say he is deeply apologetic and he will still have his day in court over his rights being violated.

Travis pleaded guilty after his August 2012 arrest and was sentenced to 200 hours of community service and 24 months of community supervision.

The battle over the video lasted longer.

When news organizations filed freedom of information requests for dashcam video of the arrest, Travis’ legal team appealed, starting a five-year legal odyssey which ended last Friday when the dashcam video of Travis arrest on an August night near Tioga was released.

The initial lawsuit was filed by media organizations to safeguard the public’s constitutional right of access to public information under the Texas Public Information Act.

Travis’ appeals were directed against the Texas Department of Public Safety, the agency who made the arrest.

The appeal went wound its way through Texas courts, and after losing at the Texas Supreme Court, Travis legal team went to federal court asking for an injunction to keep the video private.

That injunction was denied this past Thursday by a Federal District Judge in Dallas.

The judge allowed the release of the redacted video on Friday.

The redactions made included any portions of the video pertaining to Mr. Travis' medical records, emergency services records, and prescription medication information and certain portions of the video showing Mr. Travis unclothed.

Since his arrest in 2012, Travis has been recovering from a life-threatening stroke he suffered in July 2013.