Woman crippled in crash had to convince police she wasn’t at the wheel

By  | 

KILLEEN, Texas (KWTX) A Central Texas woman who was crippled in a violent crash had to convince police she wasn’t at the wheel.

Kourtney Green, who was seriously injured in the Jan. 26 crash, says she's been fighting an uphill battle for months. (Courtesy photo)

Kourtney Green says she's been fighting an uphill battle for months.

"I'm alive. I just don't feel like I’m living," she says.

She says in January she was visiting with a high school friend, who was driving her car one night because of her vision problems.

As she rode in the passenger seat, she says, thing got out of control.

"He started sideswiping cars and just driving about 150 miles per hour," she said.

"I begged and begged for him to stop."

Yanking the emergency brake, she jumped out the car, slamming her head on the concrete and breaking her collarbone and nine ribs, which left her unable to use her left hand.

Her car came to rest in a wall on U.S. 190/Interstate 14, and her friend disappeared under the cover of darkness.

At the hospital, Green says police told her she was at fault for the crash.

"They told me that I was driving. That there was no evidence of anyone even being in the vehicle with me," she said.

Then she got a bill for more than $1,500 for the emergency response.

She says she spent months pulling 911 records and trying to prove that she wasn’t driving when her car crashed early in the morning on Jan. 26 on Nolanville Hill.

She finally got the evidence she needed during a video chat with the man.

“Because of you, I hit that wall!” he yelled over the phone.

Green submitted the evidence to the Bell County District Attorney’s office and nearly eight months after the accident, an arrest warrant was issued for Irving Fuentes, 31, who, at the time of the accident, was already named in two other warrants, one stemming from a DWI and the other from a tussle with an arresting officer, according to court records.

Fuentes was named in an indictment earlier this month charging failure to stop and render aid.

He has not been taken into custody, however.

“I'll be out here for every court date when they do find him,” Green said.

"I don't want someone else to have to go through this,” says Green.