No. 1 Baylor A&T Wins Fourth Straight NCATA National Title
The top-ranked and three-time defending national champion Baylor acrobatics & tumbling team (11-0) defeated No. 3 Quinnipiac (7-3) for its fourth straight title in the National Collegiate Acrobatics & Tumbling Association (NCATA) National Championships finals. The Bears won 283.360-274.650 on Saturday afternoon at the Hammermill Center.
BU began the meet on a good note, taking the compulsory event, 38.775-37.775. The Bears followed with wins in the acro (29.55-29.025) and pyramid (29.55-29.15) events for a 97.875-96.175 lead at halftime.
The Bears continued to add to their lead after the break with a 29.325-29.10 victory in the toss event and 57.750-56.275 win in tumbling. BU then finished the meet with a 98.410-93.100 team event win.
• Baylor and Oregon are the only two schools in sport history to win national titles and both have four-peats now.
• Baylor fourth-year head coach Felecia Mulkey won her eighth NCATA national title – she has won every national title in the sport’s history.
• Baylor is 12-0 at the NCATA National Championships under Mulkey.
• Baylor is now 41-1 under Mulkey.
• Baylor has now won its last 19 meets dating back to last season.
• Baylor tied a program record with 11 wins.
• Baylor notched its third undefeated season in program history, all within the last four years.
• The Bears won all six events.
STAT OF THE DAY
• Baylor seniors Allie Alaman, Madison Aldis, Meredith Aldis, Toni Bronisevsky, Jena Fisher, Molly Gibbons, Shayla Moore and Lauren Sturm won a national title in every year as a member of the team.
“I’m so, so proud and happy for this team, especially the seniors. Sending them out on a championship note is awesome and they completed a perfect run with four titles in four years. I’m just thrilled for these girls that put in all the hard work throughout the offseason and during the season and to have it pay off like this. This was our goal and here we are, accomplishing it again.” – Baylor head coach Felecia Mulkey