Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray Television owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets, including the number-one-rated television station in 68 markets and the first or second-highest-rated television station in 87 markets. Gray's television stations cover approximately 24 percent of US television households and broadcast approximately 400 separate programming streams, including nearly 150 affiliates of the CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX networks. We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KWTX-TV News 10 is the dominant television station for the Waco-Temple-Killeen market in the Heart of Texas. The CBS, CW, Telemundo, and MeTV affiliate, KWTX is the leader in every local newscast. A state-of-the-art facility with a brand new studio helps employees showcase their award-winning content. A storm-chasing vehicle called the Weather Edge gives our crews a mobile weather lab to track severe weather. But the station’s most valuable resource is its people. KWTX is home to a dedicated group of employees, many of whom have called the station home for many years. Community service is engrained in the culture of KWTX. We take pride in being able to say that no other station does it better. In 2016, the station was honored with the NAB’s Service to America Award, recognizing the nation’s top local TV station for community service. The Texas Association of Broadcasters also honored KWTX with its highest award for public service, The Bonner McLain Award. Fixer Upper’s Magnolia Silos have turned downtown Waco into a destination for travelers from around the country. The city is home to Baylor University, with one of the top athletic programs in the nation and beautiful McLane Stadium along the Brazos River. Space-X has a rocket testing facility, with some of the world’s most impressive technology in nearby McGregor. The market is also home to one of the largest U.S. Military installations in the world, Fort Hood. And this region is ideally located in Central Texas, within a short drive of both the Dallas and Austin metro areas. KWTX has a stellar reputation as one of the premiere broadcasters in Texas, and is looking for driven, dedicated people pursuing a career in broadcast-related fields, helping produce award-winning, compelling content while working in the community to help make life better for those we are entrusted to serve.
KWTX News 10, a dominant #1 station, is looking for an Assistant News Director who will lead and manage news coverage across television and digital platforms. The Assistant News Director will work closely with the News Director, and other staff members on day-to-day operations and supervision of the newsroom. We want someone who’s aggressive in pursuing breaking news, who’s passionate about not simply covering, but uncovering news and who’s a creative thinker. The ideal candidate must be a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, winning news environment. The Assistant News Director must be able to “own” the big stories of the day, breaking news and especially weather coverage. The person must have a passion for news, show design and be able to mentor MMJs daily to help with creative storytelling. He or she must also work with producers to make their newscasts creative, relevant and deliver what viewers have come to expect from KWTX for more than 60 years. The assistant news director will also be responsible for managing daily assignments, planning specials, special coverage and helping plan the long-term strategy of the news department.
• Initiating and managing content delivery on all KWTX platforms
• Setting an urgent and aggressive tone in the newsroom
• Making editorial decisions on content
• Assist News Director in effectively communicating goals and plans for the newsroom and ensuring those plans are carried out by all staff members
• Assisting morning, evening and weekend producers and reporters with story development and assignment
• Executing our Breaking News and Severe Weather coverage plans
• Plan and execute “big story” coverage
• Holding all staff members accountable on a daily basis
• Conduct regular feedback sessions with all employees
• Participate in editorial and planning meetings
• Work with producers and reporters to enterprise and generate content
• Monitor all newscasts and digital news coverage to ensure staff is meeting standards
• Maintain a high level of confidentiality
• Protect and defend journalistic integrity of the news product
• Ensure the news team follows best practices on all platforms
• Execute news strategies developed by news department management
• Perform other job-related duties, including limited travel as assigned
• Monitor various on-air, online and newspaper resources for future story development and follow up
• Manage day-to-day operation of the assignment desk and Assignment Editor responsibilities
• BA in Journalism or related field preferred
• Minimum 3 years of experience in a television newsroom, including some management experience. Previous experience as an Assignment Editor helpful.
• Strong management, communication and people skills required to supervise and interact daily with staff, community via phone, email and in person
• Proven leadership ability
• Passion for news
• Knowledge and understanding in using various digital and social platforms
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to multi-task in high stress situations
No phone calls please.
Click HERE to apply online
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray Television’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.