Charges filed in brutal deaths of 3 including local 7th grader

Ronnie Crim (left), his wife Elizabeth (center), and Taylor Berkeley died in the stabbing. (Funeral home photos)
By  | 

SAN SABA, Texas (KWTX) Anthony Wayne Pierce, 22, who was arrested after a vicious attack at a home in San Saba that left three local residents dead, including a seventh grade girl was named in a warrant charging capital murder Thursday, San Saba County District Attorney Sonny McAfee said.

Pierce was arrested after the stabbing deaths of Ronnie Crim, 62, his wife Elizabeth, 44, and Taylor Berkeley, 13, who was visiting when a man forced his way into the family’s home early last Friday.

Daniela Valencia, 18, survived the attack, but was seriously injured.

She remains in an Abilene hospital.

Services were pending Wednesday for Ronnie Crim and Taylor Berkeley.

A service for Elizabeth Crim begins at 10 a.m. Friday at the Blaylock Funeral Home Chapel in San Saba.

Pierce remains in the Mills County Jail charged with evading arrest and aggravated assault of a public servant.

Charges could be filed within a matter of days, however, in connection with the stabbing.

“I expect those new charges and arrest warrants will be issued by the end of the week,” McAfee told KWTX on Tuesday.

Pierce was arrested following a 20-mile pursuit that started when San Saba officers tried to pull over a vehicle whose lights weren’t on in the predawn darkness and ended when the small pickup he was driving crashed into the Goldthwaite Senior Center in the middle of town.

The pickup belonged to one of the victims, authorities said.

Pierce was Ronnie Crim’s nephew and was dating Valencia, family members said.

The first 911 call came in at around 4:35 a.m. Friday.

“Immediately after the crimes, the Texas Rangers assisted the San Saba Sheriff’s Office and Police Department in securing the scene,” McAfee said.

San Saba ISD Superintendent Wayne Kelly says officials contacted him at around 6:30 a.m. Friday and told him the attack happened at a home one mile away from the school.

"We are just so heartbroken that this happened to a little girl in our community," Kelly said.

A crisis team of counselors and pastors was in the school library Friday morning, available to speak with any students, faculty or staff.