Temple: Fire breaks out in garage apartment

(City of Temple photo)
By  | 

TEMPLE, Texas (KWTX) Temple firefighters responded at around 8:45 a.m. Tuesday after fire broke out in a garage apartment at 1309 South 3rd Street.

The first crews entered the building to search for occupants and were met by heavy smoke, officials said.

The residents of the apartment in which the fire started and an adjoining apartment all escaped safely, officials said.

The fire was quickly controlled.

Three residents were displaced and were being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The residents reported that four pit bulls were in the apartment, but no dogs were found in a secondary search, officials said.

The fire was accidental and caused by electric heating, officials said.