TEMPLE, Texas (KWTX) Temple city officials Wednesday said the city’s failure to treat its water supply for the single-celled parasite Cyptosporidium, which can cause gastrointestinal and respiratory illness, from March 2019 through November 2019 was the result of a software glitch.
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality notified the city of the violation.
“Though the treatment was lacking, it does not necessarily mean the contaminant was present in the water,” the city said in a press release Wednesday.
“A software error caused inaccurate readings, leading to the violation,” the city said.
“Public Works has not received evidence indicating the public was at risk during the violation period.”
The city took “immediate corrective action to resolve this issue” and “has updated its standard operating procedures and added additional safety parameters.”